Many moons ago, I started the habit of counting my blessings. Quite literally, I would make a numbered list, from 1 to 100, of the things in my life for which I was grateful. It could be as simple as the color blue or as profound as the love of my family. When I saw those good things in my life, in black and white, there was no denying that I had a pretty good life.
I started sharing these lists online, through my site and a mailing list, several years back. Although I've since stopped sharing them publically, I've continued to record them in my sketchbook every week or so.
I sometimes think this practice has saved my life. That's kind of an exaggeration, but it's also kind of true. I have found myself way down in the dumps, and seeking and cataloging the beauty despite it all has lifted me back up time and time again.
I've decided to start sharing my good life, again. I'm calling this almost weekly project The Good, The Glad & The Lovely. Some weeks, it will just be a list of good things. Other times, I may feature something or someone wonderful. Once in a while, I'll post do-good missions that we can do together. It's gonna be great fun.
This week's Good, Glad & Lovely list:
- Living room dates with Rama after the kids have gone to bed.
- I have "kids," plural!
- Spur-of-the-moment get-togethers with friends.
- Any moment with my sketchbook I can get.
- The Pie Hole's maple custard pie.
- Proof Bakery's prosciutto and butter sandwich.
- The first strawberries of the season.
- Doing things that are a little bit scary and finding out it's not so bad after all.
- Henry's unabashed passion for music.
- Maira's smile.
- Clients who are "blown away."
- Making things with my hands, whether it's a card or a meal. It's so satisfying.
What are your good things today?
The Good, The Glad & The Lovely is an experiment in gratitude. I've been keeping lists of good things in one form or another since I was a girl. I hope you'll join me as I count the positive, accept the not-so-great, and try to do a bit of good, too.